Jobs & Volunteering
Brave Buddies Program Volunteer
The Child Mind Institute (CMI) is a non-profit organization dedicated to transforming mental health care for the world's children to enable them to reach their full potential. We are committed to finding more effective treatments for childhood psychiatric and learning disorders, building the science of healthy brain development, and empowering children and their families with the information they need to get help, hope and answers.
CMI is seeking highly skilled and motivated individuals to join our team as counselors for our Brave Buddies Program. Brave Buddies is an intensive group behavioral treatment program designed to help children with Selective Mutism (SM) speak in school and other public places. Brave Buddies is offered as a weeklong session twice a year, and as one-day session four times throughout the year. Counselors for this program are trained using behavioral therapy skills to work with children with SM in challenging activities, prompting them to use verbal responses and speak spontaneously as they play with other children and adults.
This position reports directly to the Co-Directors of the Selective Mutism program, Steven Kurtz, PhD, ABPP and Rachel Busman, PsyD, and works closely with Associate Psychologist, Laura Kirmayer, MA. The position is located at CMI headquarters in New York City.
This is an unpaid volunteer position.
- Assist clinical and administrative staff in preparing for the program in the weeks prior to, during, and after Brave Buddies
- Attend training sessions in weeks prior to Brave Buddies
- Work with Brave Buddies Campers during lead-in sessions, as well as Brave Buddies Camp, providing behavioral therapy treatment supervised by Drs. Kurtz and Busman
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree acquired or in progress
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Prior experience working with children and/or in a clinical setting
- Professional demeanor and attitude; ability to interface with families as well as senior leadership, clinicians, and staff
- Team player and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to maintain discretion and integrity
Application details and instructions
Applications are accepted on a rolling admissions basis and as needed to manage the Brave Buddies program. Brave Buddies is offered in weekly sessions twice per year and in one-day booster sessions quarterly. For specific dates for the upcoming year, please see the Brave Buddies description on our website.
Click here to apply. Please upload cover letter and resume as one document in the resume section on the application site.
Employment at Will Relationship: This position description does not constitute a guarantee that employment will continue for any specified period of time. Rather, employment is at the mutual consent of the employee and CMI, and can be terminated at will by the employee or by CMI.
CMI reserves the right to modify the job description and/or reporting relationship at any time.
CMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and maintaining a diverse staff; individuals from all backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
No phone calls or recruiters, please. This position will remain open until filled.