The Child Mind BlogBrainstorm

View all posts

Parents Talk Pros and Cons of Integrated Classrooms

Jan. 17, 2012 | Caroline Miller

Classrooms that combine special ed students and what are called, in the bureaucratic parlance, "general education" students are the big new thing in school districts all over the country. They're supposed to give children with learning challenges the extra support they need without isolating them from the mainstream. And they're also supposed to help kids get used to being around children who are different, to give them an opportunity develop empathy and learn the value of helping others, rather than, say, bullying or stigmatizing them.

We've heard many good reports from many parents of the 40 percent of kids who are on the special ed side, but have heard much less from the parents of the other 60 percent. Which is why it's great that Brooklyn mom and blogger Julie Rosenberg, one of the 40 percenters, thought to interview parents of gen ed kids in combined classrooms. It's not a representative sample, of course, but it has some interesting insights.

Integrated ClassroomsBasically the moms said that two teachers (one special and one general ed) for 25 kindergarteners, first, or second graders is better for everyone. "I feel like I won the lottery," one 60 percent mom says. "Having two teachers is great, especially when the kids are so young." The mother of a 60 percent first-grader says her son is thrilled because he gets more teacher-time than he did last year. "I asked him the first week, 'Do you notice the difference?' and he said, 'Oh, I don't have to wait around so long for help.' This year he gets way more attention."

But another mom notes that two teachers are needed because "there's lots of chaos in those kinds of classes." She notes that if you put "kids with behavior problems" in with other kids, some of the other kids will be incited to act out, too. What's interesting here, Rosenberg notes, is the assumption that there are more behavior problems among the kids with IEPs. While acknowledging that there are some, she says it's a stereotype that's not generally accurate.

She quotes another 60 percent mom to that effect: "I think a lot of people have a leftover idea of what the 'special class' was at their school growing up, and they are afraid of the stigma, but in my experience these past two years, the IEP kids are among the brightest in the class and most of the behavioral problems come from the gen-ed side."

You can read the whole debate on the Huffington Post's parent channel, or Rosenberg's blog You Don't Know Jack on Park Slope Patch.

Leave a Comment 0

Please SIGN IN or REGISTER to post a comment.

Please help us improve the Symptom Checker!

Click here to share your thoughts about using the tool.